Tuesday, February 28, 2006

OOO! Shiny!



Pretty, isn't it? I'm so pleased with myself I almost can't even stand it.

And I've decided - this whole being afraid of certain techniques is for the birds. First, I was afraid of dpns - then circular needles, which are now my favorite things. Then, I was mortally afraid of seaming, finishing, and blocking, because - what if I did it wrong? I learned duplicate stitches so I wouldn't have to learn intarsia. And I studiously avoided any mention of aran knitting in any patterns I came across.

What a wuss. What a total wimp.

Since when have I been afraid to learn something new? To totally immerse myself in something? I'm not sure where this half-assed attitude came from, but from now on, if I like a pattern, and budget allows, and I'm going to try it. The worst that can happen is that it takes me a long time to figure it out, or that I end up with an ugly sweater. Who cares? The one I make after that will only be the better for it.

So, for my next project - a cabled sweater for my dad, probably with a big saxon braid down the middle.




Like that.

That is, of course, after I finish Sharon's scarf, and Allen's scarf and slippers - and some other things I have forgotten about I am sure! But then! On to Aran greatness!



Woo and also, Hoo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning gold - you deserve it!
I can absolutely relate to your fears of trying new knitting techniques - perhaps it's because we see so many beautiful projects on other knitting blogs that we feel we just can't do anything like that, not in a million years. But the thing is, all these people also had their first try at these techniques, and they learned with trail and error - and so should we, shouldn't we?
I love the fact that you decided to go for anything now that you like, without being afraid or lacking the self-confidence for it - that's a great thing indeed!
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!

Anonymous said...

Yup- You forgot I have a scarf in line there somewhere!
-Anne
P.S. I GUESS next winter is ok....

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://cnyhanpy.com/ijlg/szrd.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ugarfaqt.com/acrq/yvhd.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://cnyhanpy.com/ijlg/szrd.html | http://eraatqxe.com/inab/yzuv.html